- JOB PURPOSE:
Provide specialist support to the Agency’s operations by ensuring the efficient functioning, security and recoverability of the Agency’s computer network (voice and data), desktop computer, and server systems. Performs research and provides decisions or recommendations regarding the implementation of new desktop, server network, and telecommunication systems that have potential to improve Agency-wide staff efficiencies and effectiveness.
- KEY OUTPUTS:
- Reports and technical documentation
- Documented risk management plan, policies and procedures
- Repair/fixes to ICT infrastructure resources
- Repair/preventative maintenance schedules
- Advice on ICT technical infrastructure matters
- Performance reports and other communications relating to the unit
- Training programmes
- Security access protocol
- KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Manage the work of Technical Services staff by facilitating and tracking project
- status; identifying problems and issues; allocating appropriate resources; and ensuring
- that technical support services are completed on schedule and at the highest levels of quality. Assists staff in the delivery of technical services as necessary and appropriate.
- Allocate adequate physical, logical, security and storage for all Information Systems programs, data and equipment.
- Develop strategies and systems to support all Windows Domain, LAN and PC users; the virtualized infrastructure (VMware), Domino Lotus Notes email infrastructure.
- Conceptualize and implement security controls and risk management systems for the protection of the Agency’s ITC infrastructure. This includes:
- ensuring the integrity and security of the LAN and WAN servers
- ensuring daily, weekly and monthly back-ups of all systems and applications
- ensuring recoverability of data in case of a disaster or corruption of files
- ensuring up-time of the Agency’s infrastructure
- granting or withdrawing access to PICA’s Domain and to the LAN/WAN as required
- Assist in the establishment of and maintain all remote site networks to allow access by staff to the applications and network resources.
- Coordinate the assessment of Agency equipment prior to deployment and installation including the installation and maintenance of the Agency’s telephony infrastructure (VoIP Technology) and PCs and printers in user Departments.
- Plan and manage assigned projects to ensure they are completed on time, within budget, and within scope using project management guidelines. Manages and directs the work of contractors and vendors.
- Guide the development of training programmes for staff on Lotus Notes email, and the use of new equipment and productivity tools. Conduct or coordinate training as required.
- Recommend the acquisition and upgrade of computer hardware/productivity tools and other ICT equipment (Servers, Switches, Routers and LAN/WAN) to ensure items are in compliance with standards, technical specifications and strategies. Responsible for adhering to legal licensing requirements.
- Contribute to the development of the Unit’s budget and strategic plan.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Deputy CEO – Corporate Services/Operations
Directors/Deputy Directors – Passport Services, Customer Service, Immigration, Citizenship, Immigration HQ, Human Resource, Finance, Internal Audit
Managers – Operations [Passport Services], Citizenship, NMIA, SIA, Ports, Accounts, Human Resource, Training
Government Agencies, Ministries and Departments, International, Regional and National Agencies in Border Security and Protection, Private Sector Entities, Vendors and Contract
- PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
- Sound Established targets are achieved.
- Appropriate numbers of hardware (PC and printers) are installed in User Units, subject to budgetary constraints.
- LAN/WAN and Domino Lotus Notes email infrastructure are secured.
- Telephony infrastructure operational.
- Hardware support effectively managed.
- Infrastructure for core applications is up-to-date.
- High ethical standards are maintained.
- Reports are accurate and submitted within established timeframe.
- Performance evaluations and work-plans are completed and turned in on time.
- Employees are adequately resources to perform duties
- Confidentiality and integrity are observed.
- Recommendations regarding ITC infrastructure matters.
The post holder needs to demonstrate the following competencies:
Functional / Technical Competencies
- Sound knowledge of international best practice in ICT technical management
- Sound knowledge of relevant computer applications and systems
- Working knowledge of project management principles and practices
- Working knowledge of the policies, procedures and controls for Immigration, Citizenship and Passports in Jamaica
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including handling conflict, negotiating and providing coaching and counselling
- Sound customer orientation
- Able to manage time effectively and complete tasks within deadlines
- Sound judgment, analytical, planning, decision-making and problem solving skills
Able to establish effective working relationships
Equally able and effective working individually and in leading a team
- MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent
- Professional qualifications in an ICT-related discipline;
- Five (5) years related experience at the professional level, of which at least three (3) should be in a management post in a related field.
- SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB:
- Normal office environment
- Occasional change of task due to time pressure and emergencies, necessitate performance of multiple tasks simultaneously
- Frequent exposure to extremely cold temperatures
- Exposure to electrical hazards
- Light physical exertion – ability to lift up to 20 lbs., walk, sit or stand for extended hours
- Occasional traveling out of town on company business
- Recommend disciplinary action in keeping with Human Resource Policies and Procedures
- Recommend purchase of productivity tools, licences and equipment
- Access to Agency staff and electronic records, PCs and tools, LAN and WAN
Aleta Bartley (Ms.)
Director, Human Resources (Assigned)
If you believe you possess the above qualities and a strong desire to help the Agency fulfill its mandate, you are invited to visit our website at www.pica.gov.jm/ http://picajobs.picaserv.com for details
Submission of applications accompanied by detailed resume including the names of two (2) references should be submitted via the web to:
Director, Human Resources
Passport Immigration & Citizenship Agency
8 Waterloo Road, Kingston 10
NO LATER THAN
Friday, June 14, 2019 @4:00pm
No hand delivered application will be accepted
We appreciate your interest in these positions; however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.